Natural Cosmetics have become a trendy word in recent years. But only products that meet the strict standards of the BDIH Guideline in Germany are able to display the "BDIH Certified Natural Cosmetics" Seal on their products. The criteria in the BDIH label are very strict—they must use high quality ingredients obtained from controlled organic cultivation or controlled organic wild collection as well as meet regulated packaging and production standards. Other standards include:
- Ingredients have to be from a plant or mineral source
- Plant ingredients should be obtained from organic growth or wild harvest wherever possible
- Most petroleum based or synthetic ingredients are not allowed
- Genetically Modified Ingredients are not allowed
- Packaging has to be ecologically conscious, so recyclable and minimalistic
- No animal testing is allowed
- No organic-Synthetic Dyes, Synthetic Fragrances, ethoxylated raw materials, silicon, paraffin or other Mineral Oil derivatives may be used.
BDIH allows sulfation and hydrogenation. Lavera does hydrogenate certain ingredients. Most hydrogenated ingredients, such as lanolin, have a safety ranking of 0 (low hazard) in the Skin Deep database. Lavera does not use sulfation in any of its products.