The Natural Products Association (NPA) is the nation’s largest and longest running non-profit devoted to the natural products industry. Founded in 1936, the NPA represents over 10,000 retail, wholesale, manufacturing, and distribution locations for products ranging from foods and supplements to beauty and personal care products.
Natural products abound these days, lining the cleaning product, pet food, food, and beauty aisles of most super markets. While there is no legal definition for the term "natural", these items are usually considered to be made without the use of artificial ingredients and minimally processed.
In an attempt to clarify the standards for natural personal care products the NPA has created the Natural Seal. Products which meet The Natural Standard for Personal Care Products by the NPA may carry the Natural Seal. This seal certifies compliance with the Natural Products Association Standard for Personal Care Products. The NPA Natural Standard helps consumers to easily identify truly natural products, and lends clear and concise standards and identification to natural products manufacturers.
In order to receive the Natural Seal products must meet strict guidelines set by the NPA:
- Natural Ingredients: A product labeled "natural" should be made up of only, or at least almost only, natural ingredients and be manufactured with appropriate processes to maintain ingredient purity.
- Safety: A product labeled "natural" should avoid any ingredient with a suspected human health risk.
- Responsibility: A product labeled "natural" should use no animal testing in its development.
- Sustainability: A product labeled "natural" should use biodegradable ingredients and the most environmentally sensitive packaging.
- All ingredients must be considered safe by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and contain no contaminants as set forth by FDA or the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Products must use naturally sourced ingredients, over synthetics, where available. NPA requires transparency from manufacturers, including full ingredient listings, use of recyclable and recycled packaging, and no animal testing. Companies must also verify that at least 60% of their brand meets NPA Natural Standard requirements.
To view the complete set of criteria and the Natural Seal visit www.TheNaturalSeal.org